Nozomi Week 1

After arriving last Friday, I took a couple days to get used to the time zone. On Monday we attended Castle Lite Unlocks, a music festival hosted by AB InBev. We were able to see many performances from dancers and singers from South Africa. It was a great turnout and really proved that Castle Lite is one of the brands of beer on the rise. 
Our first week of work was at the Ab InBev offices. While I wasn’t really given the prompt of my project, I learned what it will be on. My main focus will be on the Clean In Place (CIP) process of the beer brewing. While beer brewing is obviously the most important aspect to the company, the equipment such as pipes must also be cleaned in between brewing to avoid potential contamination. The CIP process allows for cleaning of equipment without dismantling the system, but also wastes time, energy, and water. My prediction is that my project will be working on optimizing the CIP process at the Rosslyn plant.
Additionally, the offices have a bar on the ground floor that is free for employees as an added bonus. I’ve been able to taste many South African beers such as Castle Lite and Carling Black Label. 
On Saturday morning, a couple coworkers took us to the Walter Sisulu National Botanical Garden in Roodepoort, about an hour drive from Johannesburg for a hike. While the hike was a little rough, the view from the top made it all worth it. We were able to see the entirety of Roodepoort and beyond. In the afternoon, we went to Neighborgoods, a food market that was recommended by many people. From rabbit meat to tequila ice cream, this market had everything. The energy was really high and looked to be the ideal place to be on a weekend. 

Today we moved to a guesthouse closer to the Rosslyn plant, which is where we will be working for the next 3 weeks. While I’m not sure what I’ll be doing at the plant, I’m excited to learn new things! I’ll be back next week to update on the plant. 













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nozomi Week 2

Nozomi Week 5

Nozomi Week 4